Let’s Make it Official: Getting Your Small Business’s Tax ID

Getting your small business’s tax ID to keep the IRS & AZDOR satiated.

For most education service providers, setting up your taxes will be a breeze.

Getting your education service provider business started on the right foot means squaring away taxes with the federal and state government. Tax IDs, known formally by the IRS as an Employer Identification Number (EIN), are issued by the IRS when businesses file a SS-4 form (which can be done online). The IRS and Arizona Department of Revenue, who handle state taxes, use your EIN to identify your business and coordinate tax records between your business and your employees. 

Businesses need an EIN to pay federal and state business taxes, to hire employees, open a business bank account, and apply for business licenses and permits. Some of these may not apply to your education service provider business, however, applying for your EIN is free and it’s recommended that you do so as you’re registering and forming your business.

To apply for your EIN, you’ll need your social security number on hand, your business address, and your business’s legal or “doing business as” (DBA) name on hand. It’s really that easy. When you’re ready to file with the IRS, use their simple, online form here. Once you file, the IRS will assign you your 9 digit EIN number, don’t lose it.

Have more questions on this topic?

Leave a Comment

All content © 2023 Innovation Hub.